Saturday, June 25, 2011

Point Defiance -- What a Gorgeous Place!

It’s all about your attitude … Some people complain because there are thorns on roses, while others praise thorns for having roses among them.

Tuesday was such a gorgeous day.  Well, it was after the fog lifted which was fairly early.  Actually, even the fog was interesting to look at.  The eagles were active in the trees, boaters were on the water fishing and others were out with their canoes.  It was pretty nice.

22ferrydock 

After Duchess went on a long walk and was fed, Terry and I took off for Point Defiance.  This is a park located just 18 miles from where we were parked.  After checking it out online, we figured it would be a highlight.  I can’t say we were disappointed.  How can anyone be disappointed on such a beautiful day with so much to see?

22view1

This park is one of the busiest in Washington State and with 702 acres has a lot of ground for those visitors to check out.  In addition to the gorgeous views, there are numerous walking trails, saltwater beaches, a marina, the zoo and aquarium.  Anthony’s Seafood Restaurant also offers a fabulous menu with local seafood items along with outside seating at the marina.  There is also a place for the public to throw in their fishing line and catch a salmon, lingcod or even put in a crab net.  There’s just so much to see and so much to do that you’d need days to do it all in.

View album


First of all, I had to walk through the rose garden, the fuchsia garden, the oriental garden.  Those are things I just had to do first.  It was beautiful and so fragrant.

Next, we headed off to the marina for Anthony’s.  As we walked along the boardwalk, we watched them lower a boat into the water via the boat elevator.  If you choose not to launch your own boat at their 8-lane boat launch, you can have them lower you and the boat via this elevator.  Cool, huh?  That would be the way I would want to do it.  Nothing but the best and the easiest.  Of course, I didn't check out the price.  That could change everything.


22ferry

We sat outside on the deck at Anthony’s.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day, a gorgeous view and wonderful food.  We had a view of the Puget Sound, Vashon Island, the ferry and Mt. Rainer.  Terry even discovered oyster stew on the menu.  He loves oyster stew and he really loved the bowl of it he was served.  I opted for lingcod.  You don’t see lingcod on the menu many places other than the Northwest.  Again, it was amazing.

View album


Next, we took the 5-mile drive around the edge of the park.  There were several turnoffs and we stopped at all of them.  The beach was packed with people.  School was out and it seemed everyone that could, was there.

22beach1

We also came across several hungry raccoons begging for food.  As you drove along the road inside the park, they would sit on the driver’s side waiting for you to toss food out.  It was so funny.  I guess they’ve learned that humans pack food with them.  They just wanted some.  We donated a strawberry.

View album


It was a great day.  We would have loved to check out the aquarium and the zoo but we were totally zonked.  This is one place you can’t do in just one day.  However, it was back to the motorhome.  Duchess was happy to see us.  Even though it was close to bedtime, we still crashed for a nap.

22piers

Some days are full and other days are really full.  This was a really full day.  Tomorrow is laundry day.  We’ve put it off as long as we could.  If we don’t do laundry, we have to go shopping.  So, we’ll do laundry instead.

Well, you know my blogs aren't always up to date.  This was Tuesday and this is how the rest of the week went.  Wednesday ended up being another travel day.  Thursday was a travel day and so was Friday.  I can guarantee you that Saturday will not be.  

(  ......  to be continued, of course)


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful sights to see....can't wait till we can get up that way!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to see those roses! What is lingcod? I also love oyster stew...YUMMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful place. Oyster stew would not rank on my list of foods. Hope you update today. I'm so far behind you may never hear from me again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll pass on the oyster stew but would try the lingcod. I'm also more likely to tour the museum than the gardens. Isn't good we all like different things so we don't have to all crowd in together?

    ReplyDelete