Saturday, July 23, 2011

Return to Tillamook Cheese Factory


I’ve learned that I should have told my Mom and Dad that I love and appreciated them more often than I did!

Michael and Justin showed up as planned early Thursday.  We could have taken them down to Jetty Fishery to do a little crabbing.  However, it was very foggy and very drizzly.  Obviously it wouldn’t have been a fun day to be out on the dock.
21Mikecheese
Remember the cheese line from the other day?

Even though we had taken Justin and Jordan to Tillamook Cheese Factory last week, it had been many years since Michael had been there.  However, once inside he adapted rather nicely to the line of free cheese samples, free fudge samples and the ice cream cone.  Isn’t it amazing how things like this don’t take much direction or training?

4x6beach
Jordan, Sandi, Michael and Justin

Was it 2004 that Michael was here last?  Well, I was certainly pretty brave when I decided to hop on a plane in Texas and take a vacation with all four of the grandkids on the Oregon coast.  It was just me and them.  I was definitely outnumbered. Most grandparents I know will take one or two at a time.  Not me.  I had to jump in with both feet and take all four of them.  How did it go?  Marvelous … we had a great time.  The Tillamook Cheese Factory was just one of the places we visited on our trip to the Pacific Northwest seven years ago. 
4x6seaside
Sandi, Jordan, Justin and Michael
In addition to beach time, we also spent time at Multnomah Falls and visited several of the waterfalls along the Old Columbia River highway.
4x6
Michael, Justin, Jordan and Sandi  --  This was before the hike to the top of the falls.  You should have seen them afterwards!
Actually, I’ve visited these waterfalls many times and taken hundreds of pictures of them.  This year will be no different.  I just haven’t been there yet but I do have plans to return.  Just like I have plans to do another whale watching tour in the San Juan Islands.  I have lots of plans for this summer.  However, I’d like to slow time down a bit.  I have a lot I want to do and not a lot of summer left!

21chowderfc

Now that I’ve shown pictures of my grandkids … on to the rest of the day.  It included another stop at the wharf in Garibaldi.  This time I did get to try the clam chowder at Fisherman’s Corner.  And, as usual, Terry had his normal oyster stew. It just seems that one little bowl of chowder can be made so many different ways.  Sometimes it’s absolutely fantastic and other times not so much.  This was not so much. I’m anxious to go back to Pudgy’s in Seaside for their killer chowder. It’s way past time I had another bowl of great chowder!

Tomorrow we're going to pull out those crabbing rings and try our luck again.  My mouth is already watering for some more crab.




3 comments:

  1. You are a brave soul. I wouldn't want to take all four on a plane even if they were my own! The kids look like they had a great time. They look so little BUT I guess that was 7 years ago. How time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a second look to recognize Michael before I read the caption. Wow, has he grown up! Isn't amazing how kids do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire how you've spent time with your grandkids over the years. You have given them great memories that one day they'll treasure.

    Now about all the food, I think I'm gaining weight just reading your blog. Boy do I miss those Tillamook chedder cheese curds!

    ReplyDelete